Thursday, March 3, 2011

Art And Soul- Las Vegas



Art and Soul is here in Las Vegas this week for the second year in a row, and word of mouth is that it won't be coming back due to low attendance. I don't know if that is Art and Soul's fault for not advertising enough, or Las Vegas's fault for not advertising enough or our fault for knowing about it and not taking advantage of all it has to offer.
This was my second Las Vegas Art and Soul and I went to Portland Art And Soul Last year and had so much fun each year.
This year I took 2 classes, the first was a Sally Jean class in Soldering for Virgins, I was a little disappointed in that class due to the
over booking - there were just way too many students in that class ...36 to be exact. The project I made or am still making I should say is a 3 piece pendant that has a photo of my parents cutting their wedding cake over 60 years ago on one side and on the other is a paragraph of one of my mother's original poems and two other 2- sided little soldered pieces one says Home/Keepsake and the other says Tender/Love."

The second class was actually suppose to be with the fantastic teacher Robert Dancik in working with Faux Bone but a day before the classes started I got email saying that he came down with the H1N1 flu virus and would not be able to travel at all and so I ended up changing to a class with Sherri Habb and it was an etching class without using all the dangerous, messy chemicals ...It was an awesome class for a few reasons ....1. My friend Jerry took the class with me 2. Sherri Habb is a wonderful instructor and 3. I met so many nice people in that class. By the way you might want to go check out my "Cool Stuff" page to see how this etching system works.

Lessons learned? Sign up for classes when they come to Las Vegas or we will be left out and ....GET A FLU SHOT people.
Feel better Robert I really missed taking a class with you this year.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Perhaps if the additional $200.00 fee for LOCALS that do not wish to stay at a hotel (when we live in town) was lifted, more locals might consider it - I know I would, but when I live 4 minutes from the venue, it's pretty ridiculous to stay and pay for a hotel room, OR give them $200 EXTRA in registration fees because I don't WANT to stay. Maybe you can pass that comment on to the Art and Soul Gods for future reference.

Can't wait to see what you made...